Seamilar ... the sequel

dast

21 minutes ago, C4DS said:

Could you please elaborate on this?

Sure....

The way it is now, if I do a cut, even with some uv polys selected, it always cut through the all thing in a loop fashion, right? And you get the following result... See:

YpJaG1D.png

What I would also like, is an option to restrict my "loop" cuts to the selected uv polys... and get the following result... See:

XXAKHN6.png

Pretty much like the restrict to selection of the loop/path cut tool....

I don't know if it sounds crazy, but seems useful to me.... :)

12 minutes ago, regnas said:

I don't know if it sounds crazy, but seems useful to me.... :)

I understand what you mean, but I still cannot imagine a workflow for this.

The whole point of creating seams is to unwrap what is "inside" the seams. In your example you create a seam and only want to unwrap a portion of the polygons. Why don't you then simply create seams as boundaries of the polygons you want to unwrap?

The cut in a loop fashion is because YOU select the seam to be a loop. The whole point of Seamilar is to create seams, but it's up to you to create them.

You are not limited to loop selections.

7 minutes ago, C4DS said:

I understand what you mean, but I still cannot imagine a workflow for this.

The whole point of creating seams is to unwrap what is "inside" the seams. In your example you create a seam and only want to unwrap a portion of the polygons. Why don't you then simply create seams as boundaries of the polygons you want to unwrap?

The cut in a loop fashion is because YOU select the seam to be a loop. The whole point of Seamilar is to create seams, but it's up to you to create them.

You are not limited to loop selections.

Lol... Of course I'm aware of all of this...

I just gave you a little example of the function... It doesn't seem a lot useful in this case but it has many applications... I do this kind of thing a lot with "Cut selected edges" function....

Anyway, keep up the good work... This is already a great plugin... ;)

Cheers.. 

Wasn´t used manual selection...

When opened plugin (window and tool), switched to regular polygons, selected group and applied command Outline selection. When switched back to plugin tool mode, automaticly will be created separated UVpoly islands. Inside cuts are only clicks with plugin tool...

5 minutes ago, bezo said:

Wasn´t used manual selection...

When opened plugin (window and tool), switched to regular polygons, selected group and applied command Outline selection. When switched back to plugin tool mode, automaticly will be created separated UVpoly islands. Inside cuts are only clicks with plugin tool...

Oh, great.... :)

I didn't know about the outline selection trick... This makes the things a lot easier in combination with this plugin...

Thank you for sharing the tip. :)

Cheers....

@bezo Thanks for reminding me of the Outline selection. I always seem to forget about that.

I mentioned yesterday I was going for a new approach. It's an idea I had while finishing WIP 3 in a hurry. Since it needed quite a rewrite of the plugin to match the new idea, I figured it would be better to release what I currently had ... but releasing (even a WIP) in a hurry is never a good idea, hence the issues and crashes. With WIP 3 uploaded I could go back to the drawing board and start afresh.

Well here it is: the new concept!

With this I am going back to the original plugin being a "simple" selection tool. Just as it was in version 1.
Another part of the plugin now handles the auto unwrapping, while the seam selection tool is just another way of selecting edges (see video).

The idea behind this concept is that any selection tool now becomes a "seam tool", not just Seamilar, but also the native live selection, loop selection, path selection, ring selection, ... you name it. It should even work with selection tags you have prepared. Double click a tag, edges get selected and the plugin unwraps.

For now, only a video demonstration is available. Plugin needs to be "polished" before releasing it in a hurry, this time.

Note: This will probably not be the last change of idea/concept as I go along implementing this plugin.
Currently, it's the tag assigned to an object which is responsible of triggering the drawing and uv unwrapping. I am not to fond about that, and will probably move the trigger to a more common place. This to avoid the need for the users to perform the setting changes on a per tag basis.

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community