Seamilar ... the sequel

dast

21 hours ago, DrBluem said:

How to buy and/or get rid of the DEMO?

I am finalizing the financial setup and in a day or two I should be open for business.

Just send me a private message containing the 11 digits of your Cinema 4D serial, the requested platform (Mac or Windows) and an e-mail address where I can reach you. When the financial set up is ready I will send you a Paypal link for you to proceed with the payment. Once payment completed the plugin and serial number will be sent to the provided e-mail address.

I am no expert in UV unwrapping, as such I am not claiming to know it better, or trying to teach anyone of you how UV unwrapping should be done. But -in my opinion- the purpose of unwrapping is to flatten the polygons from your 3D mesh onto a flat UV canvas with the least possible amount of distortion. In your example, the front and back face of the C are flat. Unwrapping this onto a flat canvas -with least possible amount of distortion- is what you get in the screenshot. If you would straighten the result you would definitely introduce a lot of distortion.

Now, I understand in some cases you would want to obtain a straight result, but as the unwrapping algorithm is optimized for least distortion, the straightening will have to be triggered by user interaction. By this I mean that it will be up to the user to straighten it manually. Of course, tools could be created to support the user to accomplish the straight result, but -again, in my opinion- it is not something you can let the algorithm decide. It will need to be an interactive process, steered by the user.

Thanks to those having placed pre-release orders at the reduced price.
These have been delivered by now. Hope you enjoy the plugin.
As mentioned by e-mail, the provided plugin is a release candidate as last touches is being done on the final release.

Additionally, I have also been working on next feature for the UV View: MultiObjects. Depending on progress this will be made available in the final release, or in future (free) update. As it currently is the UV View is only a viewer not an editor.
But UV Editor features will be next on the list.

For those contemplating a purchase, just a reminder that the introductory (pre-release) price of 25 euros will end once the plugin is officially released.

early Multi object viewer concept below:
Objects "sharing" the same canvas can be displayed simultaneously, using a single color per object, or a single color per UV island.
This "sharing" follows the same principle as my workflow using the SPETI plugin (importing of Substance Painter textures)

1 hour ago, bezo said:

Amazing progress Daniel, great job...

On video are shown tags for every object what will be shown in multiobject UV view. For different group of objects is needed to remove tags from old objects or are automatically recognized by plugin?

@bezo Thanks for the kind words (and the order request)
It's a little early to start discussing the concept as there is still quite some work required. And as we have seen in the past things can change really quickly depending the needed workarounds.
For now, the Seamilar Unwrapper tag on every object is only for unwrapping purposed, even without this tag the object will be shown in the UV View. But since the island information is stored in the tag, it is also required for drawing the different island colors.
I have foreseen 3 modes:
- single object, multiple island colors
- multi object, single island color
- multi object multi island colors

When no Seamilar Unwrap tag is present the UV View will thus only be able to display a single island color for the whole object (=mode 2), but every object will get a different color (in mode 2)

Well, that's the idea. But as mentioned, this can still change as a result of work required to implement ... or feedback from the WIP users.

EDIT: Here's a video that demonstrates with and without tags

https://youtu.be/PcWwBKM1DLk

While playing with the plugin there was a feature I really miss(ed) sometimes, which is to be able to create seams in the UV View.

Now, I know I mentioned that the UV View is still a simple viewer and that editing capabilities will be introduced when it gets upgraded to a full UV Editor. However, I just could not resist to already introduce some foundation work.

Just played a bit with the purchased pre-release: Works great so far on Mac and Windows!  :)
I guess, the multi object option will be activated on the final release as it is greyed out atm?
Funny - did my first tests before finishing reading everything in the thread and was just thinking, it would be great change the seams straight in the UV View as well - back here, I can already watch it being implemented for the future release! Nice!
Thanks Daniel - keep it coming!

@ILJI Thanks for the feedback, glad you like the plugin so far.

Multi object support is indeed for later, as it still requires a lot of work.

In the meantime I am working on turning the UV view into an editor, and here is a quick and dirty first iteration. Again, still a lot of work before being available.

Sorry if lately I have not been replying to everyone's questions ... I just have too much fun implementing all these features. Unfortunately, it does take up more time than anticipated, and definitely takes up more time than I have available. Thanks for your patience.

More editor functions: great!
I guess, when there is translation, rotation and scaling could be possible as well..? If so, it would be great, if you could add optional quantization. As far as I know, in C4Ds native tools, it is not possible to use quantization with UVs, so I always have to put numeric values in the corresponding transform fields for that. And if there is the option to incorporate that, maybe it could use the settings regarding step size from the mesh tools or you could add special settings for Seamilar...
Thanks!   :)

18 hours ago, C4DS said:

In the meantime I am working on turning the UV view into an editor, and here is a quick and dirty first iteration. Again, still a lot of work before being available.

Round of applause :) Getting better and better all the time...

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community