Seamilar ... the sequel

dast

3 hours ago, bezo said:

Wip2 is loaded correctly, appears in plugin list, also console say about loading...

Installed in main plugin directory R18.028,Win7

console.jpg

Good to hear.

Can't get it to show up.

I took the Seamilar II file out of the Seamilar II wip1 file and put that in the Plugins file but still no success

If I go toEdit >  Preferences > Open Preferences > plugins I see the Seamilar II file but it doesn't show up anywhere else

Running BodyPaint 3D R18

Seamilar.jpg

13 hours ago, arail said:

Can't get it to show up.

I took the Seamilar II file out of the Seamilar II wip1 file and put that in the Plugins file but still no success

@arail try WIP 2 instead. People have been reporting issues with getting WIP 1 to show up. I have now removed this older file.
Working on final steps of WIP3 now, but I guess it will not be ready this year.

Regarding a Mac version. I was going to think about other platforms as soon as the WIP mode is completed. One idea I had was to purchase a cheap, second hand Mac mini in order to compile the plugin, as I am not fond of distributing my sources. This would then also allow me to perform first level tests on every released platform version.
Something to think about later on, as for now I 'd like to focus on getting the plugin completed first.

10 hours ago, regnas said:

Useful plugin, thanks.

But it eats a lot o CPU when the "Seamilar" tool is active, and gets even worse when hovering in the viewport..

Any solution for that?

Cheers...

Thanks for the feedback.

It's the drawing of seams and colored polygons which requires quite some CPU time. A more efficient drawing has been implemented and will be available in WIP 3.

As mentioned, WIP 3 contains a new drawing implementation.

Reading through the developers forum and blog, I gathered as much information as possible and did my best to let Cinema perform most of the drawing, reducing CPU calculations from within the Seamilar tool. It's still not a lightweight process, but CPU time is now only required to perform the original drawing, while re-drawing is kept to a minimum. I'll leave out the technical details.

I understood that many didn't appreciate the fact I stored data into their objects, and as was proposed I created a new tag to behave as a data container. While support for this new tag was rather easily implemented, most of the time was spent on solving all the possible interactions (undo/redo/user deleting tag/etc ...).
After a few weeks trying to get all interactions under control, I still haven't managed to correctly handle the removal of the tag on an active object while the Seamilar tool is active. All goes fine, until the user performs undo/redo. Workaround is thus to switch to live selection tool, or to another object before removing the tag.

As the current code to handle all these interactions is becoming too complex I am realizing I am probably heading into the wrong direction. So, I'll release the most stable state of the plugin as WIP 3, before rethinking the whole thing and providing it in a next WIP.

There is currently one big drawback, which I still need to find a workaround for:
I am using the Cinema 4D internal unwrapping function. But for this to work a BodyPaint3D Texture View window needs to be opened by the user, at least once during the lifetime of the Cinema 4D session. Confirmed by MAXON developers to be by design, not a bug.
Sadly, they didn't provide any function to call the opening of this window from within a plugin. So users need to open it, manually.

EDIT <link to wip 3 removed>

Some technical details for those wondering what goes on behind the scene, when looking at the console:

The original python plugin consisted of just a single tool plugin.
To get things done as it is now, I needed to implement:
- the original tool plugin
- a window plugin (to show the colored UVs)
- a tag plugin (to contain the needed data)
- a scenehook plugin (for handling the optimized drawing)
- a message plugin (for handling the interactions)

Luckily for the user, all this is just a single plugin file

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community