Seamilar ... the sequel

dast

Made a quick demonstration video of the new feature in action.

While the feature originated from the demand to have a pixel accurate positioning and sizing option, I figured I could as well implement a full transform tool supporting both UV unit as pixel units (except for scale and rotate, obviously).

The new tool is still work in progress, but should be available in a next update.

• 3 weeks later...

The numeric transform is currently in beta, awaiting feedback.

As mentioned earlier I had been working on adding a new feature to the plugin, which would allow stacking of UV islands.

With this addition users are able to stack multiple islands. When manipulating a stack each of its island would inherit the UV manipulation.

It also allows to free up UV canvas space by stacking islands that require the same texture space.

For now, only the "single-shot" island stacking is being demonstrated, where you stack selected islands by a command. In future, a more elaborate stacking-tool will be made available, where you will be able to interactively stack islands. This will allow to specify the stacking with specific polygon-matching requirement (later more about this).

While the stacking-tool allows for a more specific solution, in case of complex island structure, I preferred to have the automatic stacking-command worked out first. This required quite some design and implementation, but also allows for a quick-and-dirty stacking of multiple islands ... which I assume would be mostly used.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Seamilar is being updated to R21.

Still some minor things to finalize. Current customers will be contacted by e-mail shortly.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

With the documentation having been completed, I went ahead and focused on bringing every version of Seamilar in sync.

Over the past year new features had been added to the plugin. Due to differences in SDK for the different releases of Cinema4D this required that updates to the plugin needed to be written for every separate release.

As such, usually the latest available release of Cinema4D (r20) was supported for testing purposes and for quick user-required updates.

For the last 4 weeks I have been updating the implementation of the plugin for the older releases (R16 - R19). With that completed, it's now testing time. And if that goes well, I will port the updates to macOS (for R16 - R19).

Since beginning of December (2019) I have encountered a few bugs in Cinema4D R21, which I have reported to MAXON.

I still haven't heard back about possible work-arounds or future fixes.

Existing customers will soon be provided with the updated version(s) of the plugin.

If all goes well (and no further issues are encountered) this will be the last Seamilar 2 update ... before switching to Seamilar 3.

This future version of the plugin already has its own thread on the forums. As this current thread has been running for a little over 3 years it is about time to get a rest ...

• 2 weeks later...

There you go. Version 2.91 finalized and released.

Some small bugs did sneak into the final code, and took a little longer to get fixed. While quite some testing has been performed (and bugs fixed as a result of that) I am sure some bugs might still have been left unnoticed. Should you find any, please report.

By now, every customer of Tools & Pixels' Seamilar should have received an e-mail containing the latest version of the plugin, ported to all supported releases of Cinema4D. If you haven't received an e-mail, please check you spam and/or junk folder, or contact me.

As mentioned earlier the bugs in Cinema4D R21 that are preventing the plugin from running smoothly in that release have been confirmed by MAXON, but no further estimate for fixing has been reported. As such, I had withdrawn the plugin from selling for this release of Cinema4D until fixed by MAXON.

In the meantime quite a number of potential customers have contacted me in order to obtain the plugin for R21. I will thus be looking to provide some information to potential customers indicating the level of seriousness of these issues, which can help them to decide waiting for a fix, or proceed with the purchase now (and get an update later if needed).

Here is a video displaying the drawing issues introduced by R21.

• 3 weeks later...

I know, I know ... I should be working on version 3.0

But I recently got feedback from a customer who suggested some additions. These seemed so obvious that I realized I wanted to include them as soon as possible.

As such, I added the visualization of the dimensions of the used texture, when in Texture Display Mode. And also made sure to update this visualization when user modified the chosen texture. Next to that I also provided a way for the user to zoom in/out in the UV View using the mouse scroll wheel.

I am still in discussion with said customer, and hope to add some more suggestions.

When all is completed I will then port the new additions to all supported Cinema 4D releases for v2.9x.

• 2 months later...

And there you have it: version 2.92 has been released to the customers.

Main feature in this update is the possibility to have a non-square UV Canvas. While the square canvas (ratio 1:1) is useful to most users since applied textures are square as well, some require a specific workflow using non-square bitmap textures. Next to the default 1:1 ratio the UV Canvas can now be specified to be visualized as 16:9, useful for 1920x1080 textures, or 16:10 (1920x1200). Even custom values can be provided, say for those wanting a 3:2 ratio.

Next to that some minor changes and a few bug fixes.

And now ... it's about time I start working on 3.0