MAXON Labs is GO !!!!

Cerbera

6 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Extrudifier is .c4d file !!! Just open it directly !

Some Extrudifier tips, btw...

1. Put your geometry as a child of the Extrudifier, but then turn it off with the cross to see all the greebles, not just the externally protruding ones

2. It has some refresh problems. Changing settings on the object under it won't update the effect until you turn the object on and off again, or change the random seed in the extrudifier.

3. Expect it to take some time to calculate on higher polycount surfaces. Spheres with high segments and 5 levels take around a minute to calculate, but just wait, and it does get there....

Extrudifier is a *.c4d file but its easy to clean up the scene given, save, and drag the file to your personal asset folder on the content browser, than you can easily drag the file to any open project. ::):

1. Great tip, but i can't render it when i send it to the Render to Picture Viewer, i can only render it when i do a Render view or a Interactive render Region. :sad: It looks a lot cooler with the shape disabled.

2. Sometimes changing the parameters doesn't work so i just do a redraw and the viewport refreshes.

So how long has Maxon Labs been around?  I was always pretty bullish on what Maxon offers beyond C4D such as the Cineversity tutorials and CV-Tools, but this just takes it up a notch.  Bravo!

So is this just a repository for what the developers create in their "spare" time?  Apps that maybe support their own workflow but are not part of the development program?  Just wondering because it would help to know how comments/suggestions would be taken.  Would they yield any changes, promote further development, be compatible with future releases, etc.

I get the sense they would not which is a shame because the Coons and Extruder tools would make really nice permanent additions to the Maxon toolset.

But for now, extremely grateful to Maxon for sharing!!!

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

@3D-Pangel, it was in beta for some time, but nothing to long. Maxon again proves that they are not playing around, they just doing right things when the time is right for them. 

I think thats the case, and devs will listen for sure and I am also sure that scripts, plugins etc. will be updated for newest releases. 

Igor

Guest JFyelle
Hello everyone,

I'd like to thank you for your interest in MAXON Labs, we are quite happy with the positive feedback we are receiving.  
To 3D-Pangel, MAXON Labs was officially launched on Friday the 17th. It was preceded by a 2 week beta period. 

Here at MAXON, we give a lot of thought to our new features' design and how they interact with others C4D functionalities. Developing new features that way is time consuming, yet our motivated developers keep playing around and try new things. These projects often don’t fit into the roadmap and end up in our source repositories, unused. We figured these experiments could be useful to our users, even if not polished to MAXON standards.

Adding to what I explained on maxon.net's blog :
  • We will not necessarily use the labs platform to test out future C4D features.
  • We do not guarantee the content found on the labs will make it to C4D either.
  • Our release cycle, service packs, or any other habits are not affected by the labs.

We are hoping to publish on a regular frequency. You should expect something new every couple of months. It is, of course, dependent on the developers time availability. As you may understand, we will try to avoid diverting anyone from their C4D schedule. We cannot commit to maintain all the published content (But I know that some developers are already planning updates for their current labs projects.).

If you keep sending out positive feedback about the Coons mesh or the extrude tool and their importance in your workflows, you might convince our product management to consider them for Cinema 4D? (No promises though!)  We're glad you like.

cheers from Montréal,

17 hours ago, JFyelle said:

If you keep sending out positive feedback about the Coons mesh or the extrude tool and their importance in your workflows, you might convince our product management to consider them for Cinema 4D? (No promises though!)  We're glad you like.

cheers from Montréal,

Jean-Franocois,

First off---welcome to the Cafe!  Thank you for clearly and logically explaining where Maxon-Labs sits in the overall C4D world and for setting expectations for what to expect --- or not expect --- in the future.   In short, you have level-set me pretty well at least.

Relative to providing positive feedback to product management,  what is the best way to do that?   Will Maxon Labs consider a forum of some sort  or should we use the "suggestions" link at Maxon.net?

Or do we just yell at Hrvoje at the Cafe?   I understand he's quite open to that!  ;-)

Dave

Guest JFyelle
2 hours ago, 3D-Pangel said:

Jean-Franocois,

First off---welcome to the Cafe!  Thank you for clearly and logically explaining where Maxon-Labs sits in the overall C4D world and for setting expectations for what to expect --- or not expect --- in the future.   In short, you have level-set me pretty well at least.

Relative to providing positive feedback to product management,  what is the best way to do that?   Will Maxon Labs consider a forum of some sort  or should we use the "suggestions" link at Maxon.net?

Or do we just yell at Hrvoje at the Cafe?   I understand he's quite open to that!  ;-)

Dave

For now, you can use the comment section on the labs page.  The projects that will be maintained will be visited by their developers.
You can also scream at Hrvoje, but be polite, the guy is huuuuuuge.

JF

Just now, JFyelle said:

You can also scream at Hrvoje, but be polite, the guy is huuuuuuge.

I can confirm that! He also was taking classes in Krav Maga when he had some free time... :D

On 21/02/2017 at 1:48 AM, JFyelle said:

The extrudifier is much more important now that Greebler is no longer available. Personally, I would be delighted if the features in that tool got refined, expanded and made it into the software proper... 

17 hours ago, SIgor said:

I can confirm that! He also was taking classes in Krav Maga when he had some free time... :D

Okay....I had to look up Krav Maga 

Yes...now I am scared.  

....a really scary image would be Hrvoje slowly twisting you into a pretzel while he calmly says in those soft dulcet tones of his "I must break you now....do not take it personally but this is the simplest and most direct way for me to deal with you. It is veeery easy and there is no reason to be concerned....{crrrraaaack!}"

BTW:  Sigor...love your new avatar....cute!  Striking resemblance too!

Dave 

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • Hrvoje unpinned this topic
  • Guest pinned this topic