C4D Under-skilled & Overpriced !?

Guest deadpixelx

Folks let's keep the conversation polite please :)

Wanting something from your software, comparing, wishing and similar can be executed with manners.

I just want to clear up some misconceptions.

1. Someone said in this thread earlier that MAXON development team is not on par with AD or SideFX, which is simply wrong.

2. From all mentioned apps in this topic Maya has the oldest code base. Old doesn't mean bad.

3. If you are comparing something you have to establish parameters. Some apps have really high entry fee, require technical knowledge, are not emphasizing stability, don't care if tech they implementing can be exploited by all users given their hardware or OS, and all of them are simply designed to cover different areas.

4. The choice of app is not based solely on performance or feature. There are other equally important factors such as price , reliability, stability, knowledge base, fear of being discontinued, inability to own due to rental policy

I can speak only for C4D and about philosophy it has. It wants to be simple as possible, with mild learning curve, enabling user to get results quickly as possible, friendly and logical, rock stable (if you ever lost your work you will want this), cross platform, interoperable with other applications to maximum extent possible, plugin friendly. In close future it wants to combine that with unlimited power, flexibility and performance without loosing any of it's trademarks. I am well aware that everyone wants it all and it wants it now, but folks, quality takes time.

Recently there were additional steps taken by MAXON in form of being more open to public, such as announcing new core development and partnerships, new MAXON labs, and if you are frequent of Cafe you will notice many developers in fact post here now.

I would also prefer that we don't call other users "trolls" or escalate with name calling and finger pointing, we simply don't want that here on Cafe and are sure better than on other forums.

@Cutman I understand your concerns, but given the fact that you are still using C4D is simply because you like to use it and enjoy doing so, right? It probably gives you results much quicker and you can wrap your head around it way easier than other apps you tried. Arguments you are conveying are valid, and it seems that it upsets you when users don't agree fully with you. Maybe it is just a delivery method that needs some polishing :)? On the other hand, allowing arguments from other users which come from different standpoint and perspective to be processed objectively is also good practice. For example, I know many SI users who will never use anything AD due to what they did to SI. One thing that is missing from your equation (when comparing apps) is future prospects. As far as I know Maya is not getting rewritten and becoming more friendly, easier to use, less technical, nor it's core and foundation are being modernized? Also, as far as I can tell, Houdini simply has no frame to be easy to use, less low level, provide quick results nor is capable of being generalist app. Not sure anymore, but if I recall correctly you simply couldn't model in Houdini apart from some rudimentary stuff. At the end it would be nice to not to turn every topic into app war and actually enjoy content. I am sure you have some nice work, scene files, problems you solved which you can share and enjoy the Cafe for what it is.

I think the reason some people have been rubbed up the wrong way, is you've just rocked up and created a thread basically slating the software and going on about how much maya and houdini are better packages etc.. It's like going on an autodesk exclusive forum and creating a thread about how rubbish and expensive maya is... Some people just don't want to hear it. We are aware of some of the short falls c4d has interms of some of its features compared to rival packages,  we dont need to be constantly reminded of it... 

On 14/03/2017 at 10:01 PM, Icecaveman said:

Few quick thoughts:

-Houdini's Mantra renderer is CPU-based... i.e. OLD
-Houdini is far harder for most humans to use than c4d. Many processes take a lot more steps.
-A good percentage of MAXON's codebase is newer than code in Houdini
-Most pros use third-party renderers...be that with MAXON, Modo, Maya, Houdini. If you look through Houdini forums you'll find a lot of users talk about Redshift and Octane.
-Houdini didn't even support external renderers until 15.5! Some users were furious, feeling they were left behind.
-MAXON has announced the future employment of GPU rendering. 
https://www.MAXON.net/en/news/MAXON-blog/article/the-future-of-rendering/

Say that Houdini's Mantra renderer is old because is CPU based it's completely ludicrous, GPU's renderers are fast but I heard they come with several limitations for certain workflows for now. Mantra is considered on hi-end productions as industry standard like Arnold and Renderman that are all CPU based, so there must be a reason why.

For MAXON's future renderer (Prorender) sorry but I don't buy it because it is already on a dead end as Apple, Nvidia and even AMD doesn't willing to support OpenCL anymore. To stay hardware agnostic, MAXON would stay with the already 5 years old "1.2" version. In my opinion it's a total waste of ressources especially when a LOT of pro are on the verge to totally ditch the Mac.

22 minutes ago, danijelk said:

How AMD will not support OpenCL when ProRender should be integrated in C4D R19? This means that development of ProRender is stopped, is that officially or just guessing?

Guessing. AMD supporting OpenCL or not is completely irrelevant in such case.

Guest deadpixelx
1 hour ago, VECTOR said:

I think the reason some people have been rubbed up the wrong way, is you've just rocked up and created a thread basically slating the software and going on about how much maya and houdini are better packages etc.. It's like going on an autodesk exclusive forum and creating a thread about how rubbish and expensive maya is... Some people just don't want to hear it. We are aware of some of the short falls c4d has interms of some of its features compared to rival packages,  we dont need to be constantly reminded of it... 

How I said above, I didn't know this has been talked extensively, My first purpose here wasn't really about the price, but compared to other software, what could be improved how and what kind of modules or features would be interesting to see implemented or enhanced. I'm sorry again and again .. because I didn't thought that it will be only interpreted exclusively this way. The fact we know things doesn't mean that they can't be talked about and moreover if you we want things to change, ... but some points seems to be a bit taboos. 

2 hours ago, HSrdelic said:

I can speak only for C4D and about philosophy it has. It wants to be simple as possible, with mild learning curve, enabling user to get results quickly as possible, friendly and logical, rock stable (if you ever lost your work you will want this), cross platform, interoperable with other applications to maximum extent possible, plugin friendly. In close future it wants to combine that with unlimited power, flexibility and performance without loosing any of it's trademarks. I am well aware that everyone wants it all and it wants it now, but folks, quality takes time.

Recently there were additional steps taken by MAXON in form of being more open to public, such as announcing new core development and partnerships, new MAXON labs, and if you are frequent of Cafe you will notice many developers in fact post here now.

I would also prefer that we don't call other users "trolls" or escalate with name calling and finger pointing, we simply don't want that here on Cafe and are sure better than on other forums.

@Cutman I understand your concerns, but given the fact that you are still using C4D is simply because you like to use it and enjoy doing so, right? It probably gives you results much quicker and you can wrap your head around it way easier than other apps you tried. Arguments you are conveying are valid, and it seems that it upsets you when users don't agree fully with you. Maybe it is just a delivery method that needs some polishing :)? On the other hand, allowing arguments from other users which come from different standpoint and perspective to be processed objectively is also good practice. For example, I know many SI users who will never use anything AD due to what they did to SI. One thing that is missing from your equation (when comparing apps) is future prospects. As far as I know Maya is not getting rewritten and becoming more friendly, easier to use, less technical, nor it's core and foundation are being modernized? Also, as far as I can tell, Houdini simply has no frame to be easy to use, less low level, provide quick results nor is capable of being generalist app. Not sure anymore, but if I recall correctly you simply couldn't model in Houdini apart from some rudimentary stuff. At the end it would be nice to not to turn every topic into app war and actually enjoy content. I am sure you have some nice work, scene files, problems you solved which you can share and enjoy the Cafe for what it is.

@HSrdelic

Thank you for this. I think I get where MAXON are going with C4D and it'll probably be an extremely high performance application just not having the low level access like Houdini provides which is what I need ASAP. That's fine I'm sure it'll continue to be extremely popular and successful when it does come to fruition it just no longer fits what I want to achieve with more dynamics based generative design style work.

I can see I'm creating a negative atmosphere on your forum so I will not post anymore. Wishing you well and continued success. Cheers

52 minutes ago, HSrdelic said:

Guessing. AMD supporting OpenCL or not is completely irrelevant in such case.

It means that even if Prorender continues to be developed, its core will be always based on an already outdated technology as even its strongest but truly lonely supporter (AMD) leaves the OpenCL's ship too. For MAXON who is well renowned to not spend its ressources uselessly it will be awkward to convince his users to invest time on a renderer that probably won't last the next decade, at least performance-wise. 

• Guest unfeatured this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community