Cinema 4D R19 discussion!

11 hours ago, luchifer said:

Iet us customize V hotkey menu.

The V hotkey popup menu can be customized. I did a tutorial a few years ago on how to do it but I deleted it more recently. Pretty easy to do via the menu manager.

12 hours ago, luchifer said:

-Priority selection in the Viewport (joints before geometry)

-Let us move tags to a custom UI Pallete (It really helps when you often use tags from plugins like xparticles collider)

-A display Take name info next to Layout in the top right corner of the interface would save me a lot of headaches.

-Add a store presets button on every possible menu next to User Data (I know, easier said than done)

-Create a New Project option, with subfolders for textures, renders and especially cache (right now we have cache files for : mograph / dynamics / hair / xparticles / realflow / turbulence)

-Add something similar to NitroPose plugin, so we can store poses and animation clips from characters with reference icons)

-Let us choose the type of material C4D creates by default when double clicking on Material Manager (so we can add a third party as default like Redshift Material)

-Let us cycle the background from dark to light or custom, useful when working with particles.

About priority I know is not like you but you can do a left click into object which are stacked. And select the one you want.

For other thing you can do it in python ;)

About tag I don't really udnerstand what you mean but I have no doubt you can do it in python ^^

Even if you can't do it directly in python you can display it in the viewport or anywhere you want throught python.

About preset you mean for UD creation? Again it can be made in python :)

New projet can be easily done in python excepted for texture path which are global :/

About Nitropose I currently developped one 

And I will release it as open source when finnished !

About material creation I 100% agree but again you can make a simple button which gonna create your material. And since you speak about redshift I point you to the script I made for rs script creation => https://www.redshift3d.com/forums/viewthread/10457/P30/#69130

For the background color you can change it into preference color. And you can also easily make a python plugin for switch beetwen them.

Anyway I don't have a lot of free time due to my school animation project + work but when finnished (in 2months), and acording the update from R19 I will make thoses plugins ;)

3 hours ago, virtualzapp said:

PS: Cut Tool and its "Cut Visible Only" drove me nuts on a big project, happy to see I'm not the only one ;o)

Yeah, it got me many a time before i discovered that the temporary fix is that Restrict to Selection does work, and completely eliminates the cut visible thing for the fairly minimal effort of selecting your polys before you cut...

CBR

Thanks for all the tips! Nice to know about having the ability to change V key. When I said presets , I meant to store parameters.. I always tend to use the "Set as Default" option (Arnold Skydome for example, as default is hidden from viewport, samples set to 4, color in texture and linked to a specific HDRI ), with presets, I could store different settings and HDRI paths. PoseMasters looks great, I hope you can also add animations as well as stills.

I know I can also drag them to the content browser and get them from there, but... is easier to just do it on the tool itself.

Voronoi Cluster/ Glue would be a godsend because at the moment I havent found an easy way to simulate it.

To the original poster's question as to whether improvements to the core architecture vs. specific features are yet evident, I'd say no.  From R16 (when elements of the new core were purportedly in place) to R18, I see no difference.   Most importantly, I see no difference when I set aside any speed or capability issues with the viewport or C4D's built-in, CPU render engines.

Perhaps I've not encountered or worked with scenes that would benefit, I don't know.  What I do know is it's pretty easy to smack into the "massive data" issues when I head in that direction. Our hardware is current and reasonably robust, so I, too, hope the vision for the new core wasn't just hype.   We've outlaid far more in plug-ins -- all offering and delivering easier, better, and modernized data and speed handling --  than we've outlaid for C4D itself.  I don't find that unusual, but I'd feel more comfortable about the future of C4D if we were talking about situational and functional extensions (e.g. Forester and the like) vs. plug-ins that are primarily modernized versions of existing, rusty, core-reliant C4D modues (e.g. X-particles).  

I love the C4D interface, and too many other things about C4D to mention.  I also understand the historical leads once firmly held by Autodesk, etc., but I am concerned about whether or not they can keep up with the competition over time, given the same-old data stream crimps, and that some of the modules in R16-R18 remain -- for all intent and purposes -- D.O.A.

For now, I'm staying optimistic for R19!

14 hours ago, Cerbera said:

Yeah, it got me many a time before i discovered that the temporary fix is that Restrict to Selection does work, and completely eliminates the cut visible thing for the fairly minimal effort of selecting your polys before you cut...

CBR

That's what I was obliged to do to keep going  on and less loosing my temper lol

I was also using extensively the "hide unselected" function to isolate the right part...what a story. (sigh)

11 hours ago, StanSteel said:

To the original poster's question as to whether improvements to the core architecture vs. specific features are yet evident, I'd say no.  From R16 (when elements of the new core were purportedly in place) to R18, I see no difference.   Most importantly, I see no difference when I set aside any speed or capability issues with the viewport or C4D's built-in, CPU render engines.

For now, I'm staying optimistic for R19!

Okay...so you haven't seen it either.  I was wondering if it was just me.   As we tick off all the enhancements we hope to see in R19, I am mindful of something that Nigel kept telling us which was MAXON will not waste time working on updating a tool if they now that tool will be completely re-written in a future release.  He also felt that the major developers have probably been working on the new core for 6 to 7 years s they have essentially gone into hiding for that long.  

So what does this all mean?  Well, to use an analogy, I would imagine rewriting C4D is like renovating an old home.  The first thing that needs to be done is to replace the stone foundation with a solid concrete foundation, then replace the wiring, plumbing, etc.  We want the new kitchen but they are still working on the foundation.  Concrete foundations are not sexy, we don't care about the new wiring.  We want the new kitchen, the new bathroom, etc.

But at some point, all those structural improvements get completed and then we can visibly see them putting into place the things we care about....the flooring, the new windows, the new kitchen.  And usually those changes happen rather quickly towards the end of the project.  If you have ever been through a major home remodel, you know what I am talking about. The last 3 to 5 weeks out of a 6 month project are always the most exciting.

I am sure Hrvoje has seen the finished plans.  He knows what is coming and if you read some of his posts, he keeps alluding to all the great things to come, just as their CTO, Harald Schneider did in the blog post "Foundations for the Future"  (see...even he is using the home construction analogy ;-).

But so far, with C4D we are not at that "exciting" phase yet and it has been 6 to 7 years since they "broke ground" on this new architecture.  I mean we have seen some nice things, but not quite up to what their CTO has promised.

So overall, I have no idea how all of what MAXON is excited about will role out.  Will it be incrementally or all in one major big-bang of a release?   All, I know is that we really haven't seen it yet.

Hopefully, R19 does not prompt us to react like those old ladies did in that classic 1984 Wendy's commercial:

593401d33adb6_WherestheCore.thumb.JPG.9b32ee8694d68501293357b402eeb67b.JPG

Dave

Sorry...but I simply do not have enough faith to be an atheist.

3D-P:

To your original question, no.

I definitely have not seen anything on R18 Mac that suggests next-level multi-threading or (for that matter) major improvements to object-manager / viewport performance. Things that can impact many features across the board in a positive way.  

Even aside from individual experiences, if these types of things had been added, there would've been all kinds of marketing for it. There's no way they'd pass the opportunity up to let the world know about their awesome new core improvements. There would be benchmarks, demos, all kinds of stuff.

Hopefully R19 is where we start seeing some of these benefits otherwise I have to question whether we're talking about a much longer term thing here... that would be a big disappointment. 

That said R18 was a much nicer release than R17, and if there are elements of the core now present that allow them to develop innovative features more quickly (seems logical), there's reason to be hopeful we'll continue to see some very useful improvements. The real question though is when do we see the game-changer, the one that lets us design and playback looks much more quickly and fluidly?

Anybody's guess but given timelines R19 is the first release where people could reasonably expect it. There was no chance it was showing up in R17 and little chance it was showing up in R18. 

3 hours ago, Zmotive said:

Anybody's guess but given timelines R19 is the first release where people could reasonably expect it. There was no chance it was showing up in R17 and little chance it was showing up in R18. 

You're assuming MAXON only started the core rewrite after R16 or thereabouts. In fact I think they've been working on the new core for the last 5-8 years.

My prediction: R19 will be a huge disappointment and people will have to wait yet another year for performance enhancements / UV tool enhancements. I also predict that Studio owners paying the annual US $650 for the MSA might be asking why they are paying so much more when the Prime version includes 90% of the new R19 stuff but at only US $250 for the MSA.

Look out for MAXON making a big deal of the inclusion of the AMD Prorenderer in R19 that's already been announced. This will be the major enhancement for R19. Then of course there will be the usual swag of minor enhancements.

BTW I haven't upgraded to Modo 11.0. Nothing much in that for me. I'll wait until 11.1 and see what that brings.

• Guest unfeatured this topic
  • Hrvoje unpinned this topic

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community