The struggle with 3DS Max

DasFrodo

I must chime in and say instancing and grouping is what makes Houdini the king here. Its just crazy the amount of things you can do with those. Love my Houdini! 😄 

13 minutes ago, Mike A said:

I hope we'll see some Houdini in Core4D soon : )

I most certainly have a wish for that and would like to show some stuff in coming future. For now I am taking time every day to learn it and watch some tutorials. In past month I didn't skip a day so if I continue with this pace, you might see something sooner than later. Wish me luck! 🙂

3 hours ago, SharpEars said:

Don't know about basic, but as far as I remember, you can assign multiple layers to one object and as far as I know, there is no way to do that in Cinema 4D. In C4D there is a one layer per object limit. Sure, layers can be nested, but this one layer limit gets to me.

While it gets limiting to have only one layer per object, it also opens the possibility to switch a layer in toto to visible/invisible. If you have more than one layer, what would happen if layer A is visible, but layer B is not, and object X belongs to both? Visible or not? All the neat little icons in the layer manager are only possible because of that limitation.

Some time before MAXON added layers to C4D, I wrote my own "layer" plugin. There, you could identify logical combinations of layers, like "first_story AND electric AND NOT heating", and then select or switch the state of the identified objects. But that worked as "last change wins" kind of logic, and the layers were not objects by themselves. (Also, in my version layers were inherited unless blocked from inheritance or explicitly excluded.) ... Maybe one of these days I'll offer that plugin again, updated. Seems as if there is a need for logical grouping.

2 hours ago, Cerbera said:

I'm not sure Autodesk do 'love' 😉

CBR

If MAXON is like a slightly manipulative partner that started out as the perfect relationship then Autodesk is that partner that beats you every night for no reason and then asks you for money.

Visit my Portfolio on Artstation.com & Follow me on Instagram

Copyright Core 4D © 2023 Powered by Invision Community